Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ok so...

Well when we last talked it looks like I had just started at Starbucks and was oh so happy to get started as a barista! Looks easy right? Wrong!! Omg I had no idea, none what so ever how difficult it is to do what the partners at Starbucks make look so easy! The recipes, the drink codes, the language, the sequence, the modifiers... lol and then after learning the "main drinks" trying to memorize the regulars drinks AND names AND their alternate drinks... I told Fran that this was "the toughest job I never knew I would love!" Seriously, I freakin LOVE this job!!

Fast forward a couple months and I'm promoted to Shift Supervisor. OMG another whole set of things that I had to memorize and perform, and help new baristas' learn and oversee the shift and run the store basically when the manager isn't there. Whew!! Tough, but again fun as all get out! I fell in love all over again. And my manager, omg, you couldn't ask for a better person to work with or for. She inspires you to excel and helps you do it, if you want it. I would have done any task for her and did without hesitation. I still would even now. Oh that's right, I didn't fast forward again...

Fast forward a year plus a little and I'm being promoted again. But not to Assistant Store Manager like I thought my next step would be, but directly into RMT for a position as Store Manager if I pass the training. Wow, again, another geometric progression in the amount of knowledge, skills and tasks that need to be monitored, coached, taught, guided and completed. OMG! lol It just keeps getting better and better. I'm a couple weeks into my accelerated training program and I'm not only loving it, I'm growing, learning and embracing it with arms wide. I am sure that I'll be able to do the job when I'm finished with the training.

No more fast forwards at this point. That's where I am and that's what I'm doing. This was a goal I set for myself when I was 3 months or so into the job and I've almost attained it. I'm happy and proud to have gotten this far this quickly. Now onto the other goals I set and to help some others set some goals as well.

Out for now.

R

1 comment:

Kar said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOO! Awesome! Congrats on all of it. But, come on, it's you! Of course you will be promoted AND FAST!